Sunday, November 20, 2011

Progress and Memories

Work on the novella turned novel has been progressing much faster than I'd anticipated! Plus, I think I'm close to naming it. I've several possibilities, and I have some more kicking to test the 'durability'. Try before you buy, right?

Watching my sons interact with one another has also aided in my great leap of progress. It reminded me of growing up and how I miraculously coped with my one older brother. Now, my boys aren't there yet, but I literally hated this brother. We fought constantly, particularly since it was easy to kick my ass. That is, until I had discovered the miracle of outrunning him. It pissed him off to no end, but I outran him like a gazelle evades a lion. Survival of the fittest in all. After years of running I faced him finally, to my defeat. But something happened that day, he began to respect me because I stood up to him, although he still liked to torture me, brotherly love you know. Now, we're closer than ever, and my boys remind me of us. They can get along and coexist quite harmoniously, whilst duking it out like mortal enemies. The fighting, the torture, those were the days. Anyway, they inspired me to change the relationship between several characters in my latest WIP. I've been writing a lot differently lately which is out of my normal comfort zone, but it feels so right the way it just spills onto the page. So, as long as they clash, I believe my writing will be growing to incorporate new and different styles that I never felt I would before. How about you?

11 comments:

  1. The bond between siblings has got to be one of the most complex love/hate relationships ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. Especially when you're one of eight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an older brother and I learned to outrun him, too! It was the only way to survive back then. :)

    A lot of good can come out of clashing. Sometimes it brings out the best in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It brought out a lot of callouses. Ah, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Close to finding a name?? Yea! Good for you. Always takes me awhile, and once one arrives, much "simmering" occurs.

    *sigh* all the things we learn from siblings. What a great example you have...constantly :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've several options, but I'm still testing the 'durability' of each one. It's funny how the one you hate usually becomes very close with you. The intricacies of family are a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pulling from sibling relationships yields a wealth of material to sift through, no? Ha! I can imagine...lol.
    Love to hear that your story is 'spilling out onto the page'! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inestimable wealth of all types! Normally I'm the anti-spill type of person, but not when it comes to literature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what makes our stories and characters more human and therefore more believable, using what you know and have experienced to flesh your world and characters out. That makes for the best writing and stories. It sounds like things are really looking up for you and your family. I'm happy for you! Have a happy and joyous Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://ravingsofparanoia.blogspot.com/2011/11/well-hello-there.html, just starting out, don't hate:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing like sibling torture to fill up a childhood's worth of memories. :)

    ReplyDelete